I have experienced a ton of freedom on my HEAL Journey, but l know that God’s not done with me yet and there’s lots more freedom where that came from! One of the greatest perks about being a work in progress is that in my struggles God never fails to teach me something new.
Lately, my struggles have been teaching me that there are several disciplines I need to daily practice to experience freedom from poor body image and disordered eating. Freedom is not free – you have to fight for it. Freedom flows from obedience mixed with a whole lot of grace. As Hebrews says “Discipline is never pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.”
Here are six disciplines of freedom I daily need to practice to experience freedom on my HEAL Journey:
- Abide in Christ – have daily quiet time and pray continuously.
- Eat within the boundaries of hunger and satisfaction.
- Enjoy 5-6 challenging workouts a week.*
- Refrain from critiquing other women’s bodies and comparing myself.
- Make beneficial and nutritious food choices and enjoy an occasional treat.
- Do not restrict foods from my diet or deprive myself.
What do you think about my “Disciplines of Freedom”? What actions help you experience freedom from poor body image and disordered eating?
*The athlete in me craves more exercise than most people. This is the amount of exercise I function best with. It’s different for everyone, but I do recommend doing at least 20 minutes of exercise three times a week. As always consult your doctor before starting any new exercise regimen.