Lent is the 40 -day period leading up to Easter, beginning on Ash Wednesday. Traditionally, the purpose of Lent is to prepare ourselves — through prayer, penitence, fasting, or charity – for Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus!
Observing Lent can be seen as a choice, rather than an obligation. Most importantly, it is an opportunity to grow closer to the Lord… perhaps through self-examination, self-discipline, or doing something that you’ve been meaning to do but haven’t had the chance!
Some ideas for things to do without…
- Celebrity Magazines
- Reality TV
- Weighing yourself
- Stumbling block food: (i.e. caffeine, sweets)
- Girls gone bare!
- Cell phones (at least in the car!)
Some ideas for things to do…
- Wake up earlier
- Join the wmCampaign!
- Memorize Scripture
- Pray for someone different each day
- Volunteer at a local shelter or reading center
- Surprise people with beautiful gestures (smiles, flowers, notes, generosity, listening)
What are your ideas? Are you giving up or starting something new for Lent? Whatever you decide to do (or not do), may this be a precious season of nearness and openness to God, His BIG love for you and the abundant life He offers!