Happy Friday Girls!
If you identify with the 3 out of 4 women who struggle with some sort of food and body images issues, this post is for you! I thought I would share a few of the most powerful truths and verses I fill my mind with as I continue on my HEAL Journey. Whether you struggle with poor body image, restrictive eating, emotional eating, bingeing, obsessive calorie counting or chronic dieting, a clinical eating disorder or just feel negative about your body from time to time, I believe that you will experience major moment-by-moment victories by hiding these truths in your heart and mind. We are told in Ephesians 6 that God’s word is the “sword of the Spirit” – our offensive weapon which God has equipped us with to fight spiritual battles. I attribute much of the freedom God has done on my HEAL Journey to having these verses memorized. I challenge you today to do the same!
When faced with the temptation to give into that which will keep you in bondage (whether it’s overeat, not eat, etc.):
· “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” Galatians 5:1
When you find your thoughts consumed by worries about what you did or didn’t eat or your body size:
· “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?” Matthew 6:25
In the face of self-destructive behavior:
· “Everything is permissible for me”—but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible for me”—but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Corinthians 6:12
When tempted by gluttony or laziness:
· “No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.” Hebrews 12:10-12
When you’re struggling with negative thoughts about your body or physical appearance:
· “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful Lord, I know that full well.” Psalm 139:14
· You turn things upside down, as if the potter were thought to be like the clay! Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, “He did not make me”? Can the pot say of the potter, “He knows nothing”? Isaiah 29:16
Are there any other verses that have been helpful to you on your HEAL Journey! Feel free to share them with us below!
If you want to learn more about how to cultivate a freedom-filled approach to food, you can get the book & join over two thousand women who have embarked on the HEAL Journey! Together we’re walking toward freedom and healing in this area of our lives!!