Today’s guest blog is written by Chrissy Conway, who I recently had the privilege of meeting at our most recent Wonderfully Made HEAL Workshop at Saddleback Church in Orange County. Chrissy is passionate about being the kind of woman young girls can look up to.I hope you enjoy today’s post and encourage you to share it with some of the younger girls in your life! -Allie
One of my favorite songs is called “This One’s For The Girls”by Martina McBride. The first part of the song is dedicated to girls around the age of 13.
“This one’s for all you girls about thirteen
High school can be so rough, can be so mean
Hold onto, on to your innocence
Stand your ground when everyone’s giving in”
Being “about 13” is tough…(12-14 in my opinion)
You’re just figuring out who your friends are or who you want your friends to be and boys are involved and your relationship with God is being challenged more than it ever has. Emotions you didn’t even know existed come to surface and usually all at once and in the course of an hour.
Gossip starts to rear its ugly head. Times when I didn’t even mean to say something about someone else it slipped out and my words were twisted and before I knew it someone was mad at me! Hurt feelings, boys, drama and more drama.
So this post is for the girls about 13….I know what you’re feeling and I know its tough. Here are some things I learned and wish I knew at the time.
- Drama isn’t fun- remove yourself from it.
- Don’t listen to the mean girls-they’re most likely jealous of how amazing you are.
- Don’t be a mean girl.
- Don’t repeat anything you hear and don’t talk about anyone behind their back.
- If you’re shy or self-conscious, don’t worry everyone is.
- You are beautiful just the way you are so don’t be afraid to be yourself.
- Sometimes your friends will be mean and when they say sorry forgive them.
- Being popular won’t make you as happy as you think
- Always do what you know is right-even if the other option seems cooler.
- There’s nothing wrong with being called a goodie-goodie.
- Don’t make fun of others.
- Praying constantly in a tough situation will help.
- When you feel the lowest, God will always listen to you and be there.
- No boy is worth hurting a friendship.
- Find out who your true friends are and always be true to them.
- Laugh at yourself.
- Don’t listen to gossip and don’t spread it.
- If your friends start doing things they shouldn’t, don’t join them, find other friends who share the same morals.
- Your parents do not want to make your life miserable, even though it seems that way sometimes. They only want to keep you safe. Just trust them.
- Caution: A cute guy will take over your brain. Don’t worry this is normal but make sure he’s a nice guy too!
- When you’re upset, it seems like the end of the world…I know but I promise you it’s not. And you can take comfort in the fact that God has already worked it all out.
- Put your relationship with God first, that is the key to everything else working out.
- Time really will heal your broken heart
- Liking a guy who doesn’t like you stinks…but it’s only as awkward as you make it
- Being a young Christian is hard, but you’re not alone in that. If you’re struggling talk to someone.