by Ashley Perez
These days women are everywhere, and that’s to be understood, after all we make up half of the world (and probably the better half too). This isn’t the 50s anymore; we’ve broken free, allowed to participate in life outside of the kitchen, classroom, and hospital. Can you imagine there are more than three professions we women are allowed to aspire to? Good news, right?
Yes, except all women have not used their newfound power for good, many have used it for evil. Others have not even realized they hold any power, and still others are acting as if life’s just a supersized version of Barbie’s Dream House where shopping and pleasing Ken are still a girl’s top priorities. No thank you. So what is a “real woman” anyways? With role models ranging from the Kardashians to Taylor Swift to Hilary Clinton, how’s a girl supposed to know if she’s headed in the right direction?
This may help a little. Here is my list of five things that make a “real woman”:
- Real women know what they want: And if they don’t know what they want they figure it out. Real women are passionate people; they live for the sake of exploring and experiencing. They don’t wait to be swept off their feet or have their breath taken away; they search for adventure even in the midst of mediocrity.
- Real women care: Beware for “caring” does not equate to domesticity. Making a guy dinner and bringing him a cold beverage after a hard day is nice, but it is not the mark of a great lady. Women that care show real emotion, they are concerned for the well being of others, and just by their existence help to make the world a brighter place.
- Real women inspire: Whether its at home, in the workplace, or in the trenches of everyday life, the mark of a real woman is that she makes those around her want to be better, to do good.
- Real women are classy: Classy ladies come in all shapes and sizes, and being classy has nothing to do with how you dress, what makeup you wear, or how well you can fold a dinner napkin. Class is an attitude, it is recognition that everyone around you is worth something and deserves to be treated as such.
- Real women know their value: It is not self-inflation that helps a real woman go far, and yet a real woman must know her own value. She loves herself and recognizes her value, because she takes special care to make sure she is a woman of value.
These are just my thoughts and I hope you contribute your own to this list. But just remember all you women out there that a real woman is greater than the sum of her parts. Let no singular thing define you, be it the clothes that you wear, the profession that you chose, or even the family that you’ve raised. What makes you a “real woman” is your recognition of the fact that you are more than the sum of your parts, you are more than enough, and with that you can change your world.
“Do what you feel in your heart to be right, for you’ll be criticized anyway.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
Could you add anything to this list? What does a real woman look like to you?
P.S. Like what you just read? Find more of it—and lots of hilarious commentary on dating and relationships—at Ashley’s personal blog, Boys Are IDOTS.